Monday, April 5, 2010

Upcoming Events, More on "Beautiful Darling"

Come to the LGBT Community Center, Tuesday April 13, 2010 at 6:30PM. (The Center is at 208 West 13th Street, near 7th Ave.) As part of the Center’s 2nd Tuesdays Cultural Series, "4Play," featuring readings from "Short Plays to Long Remember." And - the evening includes a reading of "Saturday with Martin," featuring George Hosmer and Brian Fuqua, who originated the roles in 2003 for Blue Coyote. Original direction by Kyle Ancowitz. Ten bucks at the door. This is a script I'm very fond of, and I'm very excited I get to hear George & Bri go at each other again. UPDATE: Reservations at the Center are available here.

On Monday, April 12 at 6:30, America in Play presents "Crossing Over" at University Settlement, 184 Eldridge Street. While I haven't been able to be as active with AIP this spring, the evening does include some of my material and it's a terrific group of writers, led by Lynn Thomson. More info here. Admission is free.

And "Beautiful Darling" - the Candy Darling documentary years in the making - screened at MOMA on Friday night, part of the New Directors series for Film at Lincoln Center. OK, I was disappointed they cut my interviews for the film - but it's a gorgeous, touching piece of work. Lots of film footage and interviews that have never been heard or seen before. It was kind of overwhelming for me to hear Tennessee Williams' voice talk about working with Candy in "Small Craft Warnings," know what I mean? I hope this one has a long long life.

UPDATE: "Short Plays to Long Remember" is up on Amazon. Hell, as long as you're on Amazon, why not buy "Playing with Canons," which includes my adaptation of "The Eumenides?" Why NOT? And "A Funeral Home in Brooklyn," part of Best 10-Minute Plays of 2008, got a nice write up on Barnes and Noble.com Buy it and give it to a loved one. OK, maybe not that, but buy it.

No comments: