Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Henry VIII I Am


I'd never been to the Grolier Club before - never even heard of it - but I saw the article in the Times last week on the exhibit there, commemorating the 500th anniversary of the ascension of Henry VIII. It's a fun exhibit - bibliographic items, the Cloverdale Bible, letters written on vellum by various diplomats bitching about instransigent popes, even some cartoons and virulent attacks by Dickens. They have the Spanish Inquisition's copy of Shakespeare's works, where they've blotted out certain lines in the play, "Henry VIII" - presumably any lines referring to Protestants and 'not damned.' It's free, over on East 60th Street, through May 2.

1 comment:

Matthew Trumbull said...

Ooooo. I am reading a bodice-ripping piece of historical fiction with ol' Hank the Eighth as a character. I am definitely going to check this out.