Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Will Eisner's "The Plot"


I had workshop on Monday night, and borrowed Chuck’s copy of “The Plot,” Will Eisner’s graphic novel on the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It’s a brilliant piece of work, and I read it all in one sitting. I’d loved Eisner’s stuff since I was a kid, and would read magazine reprints of “The Spirit” from the forties and thirties.

“The Plot” is something of a miracle, a broadside polemic, history of a fraud, written in – Eisner’s terms – ‘sequential art.’ Amazing also that Eisner continued to be working at such a high level of ability and creativity until mere weeks before his death at 87.

2 comments:

Martha J Mountain said...

I love Will Eisner. Protocols is amazing. I think my fave though is A Contract with God

David Johnston said...

I'm trying to get a bunch of his others through the library. I haven't read Contract series - a friend is now teaching a class in graphic novels at Pace so I feel like I'm rediscovering Eisner.