Monday, November 19, 2007

Joe, Vanessa & Karen


Saw the Joe Strummer doc on Friday night at IFC. Nice film by the guy who did "The Filth & the Fury," the excellent Sex Pistols documentary. Best part - footage of the Clash in the early eighties.

Saturday was "Vanessa" at City Opera. I don't know Barber's work, but I really enjoyed this one. Three generations of neurotic, high -strung women in a house in the wintertime in a far northern country. Cracked hymns, delusional waltzes and a fine Lauren Flanigan.

Sunday night Karen Finley at 45 Bleecker in "Wake Up." This one is still a work-in-progress, but her process is pretty fascinating to watch. Not everything works right now in this show - Finley imagining Laura Bush's dream journals and the media circling Terri Schiavo's death- but just when it feels the commentary is a little too acid-tinged New York intellectual, Finley brings it back around to the central humanity - a mother being told she can no longer feed her child. This is the second time I've seen her and I'm starting to feel about Karen Finley the same way I feel about Patti Smith - I don't even care what she's examining, I want to watch her work.

No comments: